THEME FOR THE MONTH: Living Prayerfully
TODAY’S TOPIC: Benefits of Prayer (2)
KEY TEXT: Ps. 55:16-17
KEY VERSE: Ps. 55:17
“Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice”
It was very clear to us on Sunday last week that prayer comes load with benefits. Some of these benefits include peace of mind and support in the form of comfort and strength. Making prayer a habit is something that we Christians must learn. The benefits come to those who practise this act regularly, to those who make it a lifestyle. However, there are more benefits of prayer than we saw last week.
3. GUIDANCE TO MAKE WISE DECISIONS
If you have ever been in a situation in which you have to make a difficult choice or decision, you will appreciate the importance of prayer. Wisdom is very important to succeed through life. It could be about a career or job, a spouse or child, an answer or something else…but we always need to (or want to) make the right call. Prayer can help us. It says in James 1:5 that anyone who needs wisdom should ask from God. He will answer, and provide wisdom. Check out Prov. 2:3-6. In 2Chrn. 1:10, Solomon made this same request for wisdom. Of course, it was given him.
Read also: Prov. 3:5-6; Jer. 33:3; James 1:17; 3:17
4. HELP TO AVOID TEMPTATION
Read Luke 22:40.
People who do not regard the place of prayer will keep falling into temptations. No tempting can stand the place of prayer. Even Jesus Himself knew that enough to warn us beforehand. Brother, sister, whenever you feel the urge to sin or disobey God, just kneel down and pray; talk to God. Ask Him for strength to pull through. Remember that it is not of him that willeth or of him that runneth. It is all about GOD. The Psalms is full of requests made to God concerning this matter. Some of these reference scriptures are noted below:
Read also: 1Peter 4:7; Ps. 17:5; Ps. 119:1116-17; Prov. 30:8-9
* According to their understanding, each Codite shall put on COD Facebook page a short explanation of a benefit of prayer.
1. Thank God for His word
2. Thank God sincerely for the privilege of prayer
3. Confess any known and unknown sin to God now. Ask Him to forgive you and show you His mercy
4. Ask that God’s Guidance and Divine Wisdom be your colleagues in life. Pray about an issue in your life, that requires a decision; ask God to lead you rightly on what to do and how to do it.
5. Ask for the presence and fear of God that will keep you away from sin. Pray for God’s help to enable you overcome temptations.
6. Bless your week. Speak the Blood of Jesus to be at work in your life and family this week