THEME FOR THE MONTH: The Shepherd
TODAY’S TOPIC: Still Waters
KEY TEXT: Ps. 23:1-5
KEY VERSE: Ps. 23:1
“The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want”
In last week’s lesson, we see the power, in our Shepherd, to guarantee our satisfaction. Green Pastures tell of God’s ability and willingness to cater for our needs. Today we shall view the ability of the Shepherd in three different perspectives. They are…
1. HE CAUSES US PEACE
When the Shepherd leads us beside still waters (or quiet waters), He causes us to rest. Still waters are those times in our lives when we are just okay with what we have. Still waters are those times when situations around us are met with instant solutions. Here, God caters for our needs immediately we have them. What is more? The leading beside still waters is a leading to quench our thirst. A thirst that only the Shepherd can fill. We are talking about meeting an emotional need here. This is that moment where God’s presence around us seems to be all we need.
(Job 34:29; 2Sam. 7:1; Isaiah 26:3; Phil. 4:7)
2. HE BRINGS US HEALING
When the Psalmist says, “He restoreth my soul”, one thing should come to mind. Restoration is the process of bringing something back to its original state, either by repairing or by rebuilding. The Shepherd is the one who knows how to fix His sheep. If the sheep has a broken limb, the shepherd fixes that. If the sheep is sick, the shepherd takes care of it also. The shepherd is there, not only to guard, but also to deliver. Are there things into which we have gotten ourselves? Could it be sickness, sin, doubt, frustration, sorrow or loss? Hand these over to the Shepherd (Jesus) who wants to care for you. Are there struggles in your life? Jesus can fix them—allow Him to.
(Micah 7:8-9; Luke 22:31-32; Isaiah 57:18; Jer. 33:6; 2Chrn. 7:14)
3. HE ENSURES OUR WALK WITH HIM
Jesus really cherishes our relationship with Him. In fact, He enjoys our company, same way any shepherd would enjoy the company of his sheep. Just to make sure we continue the communion with Him, He gave us His Word and His Spirit.
“He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.”
Did you see that? For His Name’s sake. Read Eph. 2:8-9. Jesus is the reason why you are still a Christian. His Spirit and His Word are His contributions to this relationship. What are yours? Nothing. Just believe Him. Our Shepherd really wants to keep this relationship. We have to do our own part; we have to trust His power and efforts. To live holy on the earth is a function of total belief and dependence on the power and finished work of Jesus via The Cross. Being holy is achievable; but ONLY THROUGH CHRIST.
(John 16:13-15; 1John 4:13; John 6:63; Phil. 4:13)
Study the book of Psalms 46:2-3 and Psalm 138:7
1. Thank God for giving us His word.
2. Ask for the satisfaction only God can give this week.
3. Pray for divine restoration in all areas of your life where you need it (e.g. health, academics, finance, spirituality, etc).
4. Sincerely surrender your Christian walk to Jesus. Ask Him to sustain your relationship with Him. Ask that He holds and leads you all the way, in this Christian walk with Him.
5. Pray for all parents of Codites. Pray against sin, setback, sickness and sorrow in their lives. Ask that God keeps our parents long enough to enjoy the fruits of their labours.
6. Bless your week with the blessing of the Lord. Plead the blood of Jesus over your journeys and dealings this week.